[PLUG-TALK] Calagator RSS feed

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Jan 17 02:39:03 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 02:19:48PM -0800, Daniel Hedlund wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:
> The Atom/RSS feed has been this way for as long as I have known about the
> Members of the calagator community have taken advantage of this behavior to
> keep an eye out for spam events or malicious changes to upcoming events;

My apologies to the Calagator community and to "R".

Thank you, Daniel, for a clear explanation of RSS behavior.
"R" tried to, though he referred to an iPhone tool that
diplayed calendars properly, which seemed to miss the point.

I suppose that it was a lucky (or unlucky) coincidence that
in the past, the interesting events of the day coincidentally
appeared in the RSS feed, and what I am perceiving now is a
"beginning of year" user behavior that is less evident the
the rest of the year.  For now, I'll go back to checking the
Calagator webpage a couple of times a day.

The way you describe RSS/Atom suggests that creating a separate
Calagator RSS feed (with a different URL) mimicking a linear
calendar is probably impossible, given that different users will
display different lengths of RSS entries.

As a paid subscriber, I've sent a request to the Protopage folk
(in the UK) for a new hCalendar widget, with the suggestion that
they learn about Calagator and promote it in the UK.  Perhaps
they will contribute some code to Calagator that makes an
hCalendar widget (and others) easier to design, and attract
other contributors.

Perhaps a discussion of what RSS can and cannot do, from
a user perspective, would be an interesting PLUG general
meeting topic.  Or perhaps I am the only person in Portland
who is so ignorant of what RSS actually does ...

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com