[PLUG-TALK] Bike helmets, science, and anger

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 15:36:35 UTC 2016

I recall that at the beginning of the essay the author quoted many studies
which showed convincingly that riders wearing a helmet involved in
accidents had far fewer head injuries compared to those without a helmet.
But since pedestrians do not wear helmets there is no comparable data.

I have two personal experiences:  I did an endo, cracked my helmet in 7
places, cracked a vertebra, but had no concussion.  Another involved my
5-year old son.  He was out biking with my wife.  They stopped for lunch.
He sat on a heavy park bench which was not anchored down.  It tipped over
on top of him, and wacked him in the head.  A dent on his helmet, but no
head injury.  So wearing a helmet as a pedestrian saves heads.

-Denis