[PLUG-TALK] Card Fraud

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Sat Jul 2 15:11:57 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 01, 2016 at 11:38:42PM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jul 2016 05:50:26 +0000
> Nathan Williams <nath.e.will at gmail.com> dijo:
>
> >Although, given their use at local businesses, it's much more likely
> >the compromise was some local waiter/gas attendant/ATM skimmer who
> >cloned the card, rather than sophisticated online theft. If those
> >businesses had security cams, maybe the police would have some luck?
>
> But bear in mind that the card has not left my pocket for nearly a
> year. I have made no purchases with it anywhere, not in a real store or
> online. How can the skimmers get the number without physically seeing
> the card? The magnetic strip on the card isn't broadcasting is it?

The card isn't broadcasting. And as far as I know there does not yet
exist the ability to remotely read a mag stripe.

This implies the 16 digit number and expiration date were acquired and
used to make a fake card - perhaps without your name even on it.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity