[PLUG-TALK] A plea for assistance from any Comcast customers

Richard Powell plug at hackhawk.net
Sat Jul 16 23:28:21 UTC 2016

On 7/16/2016 3:54 PM, Nathan Williams wrote:

> Rich,
>
> Is it possible some automated system on your nameservers has
> mistakenly blocked Comcast's DNS server,  resulting in them being
> unable to query your servers? I'm definitely getting a timeout asking
> 75.75.75.75 for hostpond.com <http://hostpond.com> DNS, but quite
> timely and accurate  responses asking your NS directly, or asking
> Comcast for other DNS records.

No.  I did have some minimal firewall rules in place (iptables).
However I disabled the firewall entirely on both nameservers as a test.
Still nothing.  I'm not blocking anything on the DNS ports.

The one thing I did do, more than 80 hours ago at this point, was to
temporarily change my name servers from ns1/3.hostpond.com, to a couple
of cloudflare servers during a network outage.  This, after reducing the
TTL to 300.  Within 2 hours, I changed them back to the
ns1/3.hostpond.com name servers.  This morning, I've changed the name
servers to ns1/3.hostpond.NET since hostpond.net seems to be resolving
just fine.  It has now been 8 hours since changing the names servers to
the .net servers.  Still no change in resolution at Comcast.

I can only speculate that something got corrupted somewhere during a
short switch of the name servers of hostpond.com over to the cloudflare
servers.  But I can't confirm anything, because all the lookups and
whois records all appear fine.  dnsstuff.com reports no problems with
the NS configuration or with resolution.

One thing I speculate about is that name servers need to be registered.
Mine are registered through eNom.com up to Verisign (I believe).  So,
when I temporarily changed the nameservers to Cloudflare, I was
speculating that eNom may have done something with the registered name
servers.  But when I check the status through the eNom interface, it
says they are registered without problem.  And when I called them to
confirm the other day, the said they see no problem.  The name servers
are supposedly registered just fine.