[PLUG-TALK] Google Fiber - delayed

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri Jul 22 06:35:18 UTC 2016

>>>>> "John" == John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> writes:

Russell> Almost certainly CenturyLink.  They are only doing this because
Russell> they are terrified that Google will land and they'll become
Russell> completely irrelevant.  And, yes, that's a guess, but I think
Russell> it's a pretty good one.  They are trying to get installed ahead
Russell> of Google to try to scare them away, hoping to make Googles
Russell> business case weaker, because they've already captured a lot of
Russell> the market.  The reality is that CenturyLink is such a horrible
Russell> company and has such a horriby customer experience, that they
Russell> won't hold very many of the customers they have if there is an
Russell> alternative.  Google charges half of what CenturyLink is.
Russell> Google Fiber customer service can NOT be as bad as CenturyLink,
Russell> which is like having your arm slowly gnawed off by wolverines.

John> I wonder if this is why Google hasn't announced yet.

No outsider really knows.  Or at least, no outsider can know if anyone
else really knows.  When they are ready, they'll say something, I'm
confident.  Until then, it's all just guesses at probabilities.  And
with CenturyLink, it was just guesses even after they dropped the spool
in the street.  It took 2 months after they'd strung things before they
were ready to sell service, and even then, their website lied to you.

I just got an announcement *this week* saying that "Fiber service is NOW
available in your neighborhood".  I've had fiber service here since May
2015.  Morons.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net