[PLUG-TALK] Search engine result filter

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Jun 10 18:16:29 UTC 2016

I am looking for a firefox addon or a third party
website that filters search engine results to the
subset that match my search words exactly.

I use DuckDuckGo rather than Google Search, but they share
the same annoying "thesaurus and ignore" feature: rather
than send me only the specific results that include ALL
the exact search terms I provide, they seem to send a huge
glob of previously searched results that have some of my
search words, some words that they assume are the same
as mine (for example, median == mean in googlespeak),
and just plain ignore the terms that I hope (in vain)
would narrow the results to a few worth investigation.

I want a tool that will sort through a vast wad of search
results for the few that precisely match my query.  I fear
that such a would will trigger bot detectors and captcha
requests, but a more clever tool might work more slowly.
I would rather wait 20 minutes for my specific results
than waste an hour searching through nonsequitur results.

Years ago, when Google executed search queries exactly,
we played a game called "Google Whack":  enter two
search words that returned only one result, where each
word alone returned many results.  The score was the
multiplicative product of the counts for each word
alone, and could sometimes could be hundreds of thousands.
Google Whack doesn't work any more.  Google changed the
behavior of their engine, and their competitors followed.

The new behavior is fine for conformists who want to
think exactly the same as everyone else, but not for me.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com