[PLUG-TALK] Rechargeable NiMH Batteries Question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jun 15 00:23:28 UTC 2016

   This is a question for all the electrical gurus here.

   My clock radio takes a pair of AAA batteries for backup when the
house electrical system goes off-line. A couple of weeks ago the unit
indicated the batteries needed to be replaced. I charged a pair of NiMH
rechargeable AAA batteries and put them in the clock radio. The discharged
battery icon continued to blink. So, I recharged the batteries and found the
same result.

   Replacing the NiMH batteries with alkaline, non-rechargeable ones, turns
off the icon, indicating that they're fully charged. The NiMH batteries each
read 1.39 or 1.40 volts so they are fully charged.

   What might make the clock radio not recognize charged batteries if they're
NiMH and accept alkaline ones?