[PLUG-TALK] Why ISPs Reject Spam Reports?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Mar 8 12:26:37 PST 2016

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016, alan at clueserver.org wrote:

> A great deal of Spam has forged addresses. Unless they can connect it to
> an actual user, they don't bother. Usually it is someone whose account has
> been hacked. I have also seen attacks made against the abuse addresses.
> You may have to send the spam as a zipped attachment or some other means
> to get past the filters.

Alan,

   I use 'whois' on the IP address to find the source from which I received
the spam. Of course their customer's machine has been hacked; that's why I
report it rather than just deleting the message. Most ISPs accept the
report, a minority send a thank-you message, but some reject the report.
Don't they care that their customer's box is spewing spam? The extreme,
mostly in South American countries don't both publishing an address for
reporting spam or other abuse.

Thanks for your thoughts,