[PLUG-TALK] Netbook computer disassembly

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 20:52:48 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 12:02 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Nov 2016, wes wrote:
>
> > is there any possibility you may have a sata 3 drive which is not
> > backwards compatible to sata 2? I realize all sata 3 drives are
> "supposed"
> > to be backwards compatible but if history is any indication.... well, you
> > know.
>
>    I would like to better understand the issue of SATA 3 vs SATA 2 drives.
> If
> my Samsung SSD is not backwards compatible, why would there be no problems
> when installing the entire distribution and writing to the disk, but a
> problem in reading from it to load the lilo screen?
>
>    All suggestions on resolving this issue are welcome.
>
> Rich

Your reasoning there is sound, it does not really sound like a
non-compatible drive issue, if it was it should just refuse to work at all.

I have to dig back in my own experience a bit, since it has been a while
since I used a distro that used lilo, but I seem to remember something
about updating the initramfs drivers if any major hardware was changed.
Maybe this could be what is going on, lilo doesn't have the required
drivers to see the new SSD so it just borks.  The distro installer
environment has much more drivers in its kernel (or modules) so it can
read/write to the SSD just fine.

Anyone else want to chip in along this train of thought, by all means.... ;)

I'm pretty much just in GRUB land now myself (Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora mostly),
but I did have to deal with lilo back in the day (RedHat 6.x, 7.x, etc....
as in the old RH desktop not RHEL).

HTH, my $0.02, and may the source be with you.

Matt M.
LinuxKnight