[PLUG-TALK] Netbook computer disassembly

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Nov 23 23:08:50 UTC 2016

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016, Paul Mullen wrote:

> Any idea what partitition table scheme is used on the SSD?  Modern
> hardware mostly uses GPT, with which, says the Internet, LILO has
> occasional difficulty:

   This, apparently, is the source of the problem. When I first installed
Slackware-14.2 cfdisk offered me a table of partition types and I selected
gpt because that's what worked on the two 64-bit portables (using lilo).
It apparently does not work on a 32-bit system using lilo.

   My web searches inform me that the only tool that will remove the gpt at
the end of the disk and replace it with a dos partition table in the MBR at
the head of the disk is a tool called gdisk.

   The gdisk page leads to the downloadable source on sourceforge.net. But,
the only downloadable file there is gdisk_1.0.1-1_amd64.deb. My system has a
32-bit Intel Atom CPU, not a 64-bit AMD. I think there's a tool to convert
.deb files to .tgz files but that won't make gdisk compatible with my
system.

   Are there other ways to remove the gpt and give me a clean SSD so I can
start over?