[PLUG-TALK] Open source insulin pump

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Nov 26 19:04:09 UTC 2016

Insurance companies do their best to wriggle out of having to supply a
patient with an insulin pump because they are hideously expensive
(~$8,000 to $10,000), plus the supplies run ~$3,000 a year. On the
other hand, in the past few years pumps have become available which can
be controlled by a continuous glucose monitor, effectively turning the
pump + monitor into an artificial pancreas system (APS), a tool which
can virtually eliminate complications arising from hyperglycemia.

I'm not sure a pump is for me so I have recently spent a lot of time
researching the issue. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled
upon an open source insulin pump:

https://openaps.org/reference-design/
https://diyps.org/

As is typical of open source tools, one benefit is to slash the cost.
But as is also not unusual, the open source solution may not completely
match the functionality of the commercial product. In this case, if I
understand correctly, the open source APS can only supply basal insulin
requirements and not bolus needs, where the commercial systems can
usually do both.

Comments encouraged!