[PLUG-TALK] Netbook computer disassembly [UPDATE]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Nov 28 18:29:30 UTC 2016

On Mon, 21 Nov 2016, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   My web searches turn up nothing relevant or useful. If the entire
> distribution installed on the SSD I agree that the problem is not its size.
>
>   It's apparently not the screen resolution (which was an issue on another
> portable and several Slackware versions ago when the kernel did not like
> framebuffers) as it's set to vga=normal.

   Nothing makes sense. The hardware's OK as I can install the distribution,
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt, chroot there, modify /etc/lilo.conf to append
nomodeset to the kernel when booting, and run lilo.

   Using cfdisk -z I changed the partitioning scheme from gpt to msdos;
parted confirms this and sees the SSD as a viable block device. /dev/sda1 is
marked bootable.

   Further examination with Ed's Slackware expertise will be done Real Soon
Now and I'll report the results. This is a frustrating and highly unusual
situation.

   Fortunately, I don't need the netbook now so there's time to figure out
what's going on and make it work.