[PLUG-TALK] Google Fiber .. not

Ronald Chmara ronabop at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 03:31:51 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 5:44 PM, Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> wrote:

> On 2016-10-26 16:13, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> > Sandy has municipal fiber, yes, but what is their backhaul
> > like?  How well does their fiber function on Netflix nights?
> > Focusing on last mile is a prior-decade concern, miniscule
> > compared to the much larger issue of network saturation.
> Hopefully, Sandy has some sort of content-delivery network caching, like
> the cell providers use.
> Oh, hello, Netflix has its own thing:
> https://openconnect.netflix.com/en/
> I always figured this sort of appliance was going to be provisioned in a
> lot of LTE cell sites at some point.

Digging into that site, specific to netflix, their guidelines:
https://openconnect.netflix.com/en/guidelines/
Indicate that ISPs must interconnect at a peering point on their list:
https://openconnect.netflix.com/en/peering-locations/
The closest of which is:
https://www.peeringdb.com/fac/1922
...(it's also an interconnect for Amazon, and Comcast, most local ISP's
already know it).
So, the local ISP has to pay for that hunk, but Netflix provides the
caching boxes themselves, and I quote (
https://openconnect.netflix.com/en/faq/) :
"How much does the appliance cost my organization?
Appliances, including replacement appliances, are provided to qualifying
ISPs at no charge when used within the terms of the license agreements."

It's in Netflix's interests to offload as much of that (static, massive,
almost never updating) content as possible out of their network, and closer
to the "last mile". It's so expensive for them in bandwidth terms they are
literally giving the caching hardware (but not bandwidth) away.... down to
the metro interconnect level. It doesn't entirely fix the problem, but (I
assume) it's a heck of a lot cheaper for everybody.