[PLUG-TALK] copier/fax machines

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Oct 28 05:46:33 UTC 2016

Our ancient small-office Canon laser copier/fax is
wearing out, after passing perhaps 200,000 pages,
2000 per month.  I would like to replace it with
something at least as durable and repairable.

It seems that a lot of the new stuff is designed to
process 100,000 pages, then go to the landfill.  Fuser
rollers aren't replaceable without a complete teardown
(cough cough HP M477 cough) A sales fellow that I used to
sorta-trust was telling me that everybody replaces their
all-in-ones after three years, what's wrong with me?

<rant> What is wrong with me is that I design electronics
to last 50 years, and expect others to do likewise.  Some
of my hand tools are 120 years old, and I've stayed in
hotels more than 500 years old.  Disposable tools are
for disposable people. </rant>  Phew.  I feel better.

Anywho, are there laser fax/copier that are designed to
last a long time, built for repair, not for the landfill?

If I have to go through this every three years, I might
as well take the time to install (and maintain, and
upgrade) a good fax interface and a scanner on the server.
In the age of disposable distros, that's no fun either.

Keith

P.S. Someday, I'll rant about the 20+ climate satellites
NOAA is about to dispose of, still adding to vital
scientific records.  That data would only be useful
if we were on planet we planned to keep for a while.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com
-----
Don't waste your vote in 2016!  Give it to the Republicans
and Democrats, and they will gladly waste it for you!