[PLUG-TALK] Frontier FIOS, routable IP?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Oct 28 21:25:16 UTC 2016

On Fri, 28 Oct 2016, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> I'm still using dyn.com (former dyndns.com) for DNS. More price creep.
> I've been too lazy to switch, but others might have better suggestions.
> Dynamic DNS makes a volatile (but routable) net address quite usable.

   My DNS servers are at namecheap.com. They were (perhaps still are) free
under some constraints. Since namecheap.com is also my domain registrar I
don't pay extra for the name servers.

   When Frontier changes my IP address (which they used to do a half-dozen
times each night, now only every few days to couple of weeks) the cron
script that runs every half hour updates the DNS servers if the IP address
changes. My thanks to Bill Barry for getting the script working.