[PLUG-TALK] Frontier FIOS, routable IP?

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 21:50:08 PDT 2016

I'm getting FIOS for 34.95/month for the 25/25 DN/UP internet only service.

That is down from the 42.95 I had before with 20/20.
The price decrease was due to me calling them as I was receiving flyers
about switching to Frontier.
Changed the service speeds (up) and cost down.  This was the second time I
was able to do this.
The first service was 15/5 @ 54.95.

I originally started with Verizon and their 5/2 then 10/2.  I think there
has only been three major outages for me since I started on
FIOS in 2006.

voip.ms is working well.  I switched from using ViaTalk to voip.ms as the
former was a flat monthly charge for 500 North America minutes.
Even though that was 10.95 a month, I wasn't anywhere near the limits of
the monthly time.  As such,
I changed out services and ATA devices.  The previous device with ViaTalk
was a GrandStream HandyTone 502.
With voip.ms, I switch to OBi202 which has both my google voice number and
my ported number home number.  This leaves me room
to try it with other services as it will handle four distinct VOIP
configurations.

The porting process is different with each company.  I've done this from
Verizon to ViaTalk and then to Voip.ms.
Be prepared to jump through a few hoops.

Using voip.ms as a pay as you go service; I put $25-30 on the account via
PayPal and they email me when it drops below $10.
The setup of the ATA with registration to voip.ms handled through
www.obitalk.com web site.

So my minimum monthly fees are 1.50 for E911 (required) and .85 for the DID.
Calls are 0.009/minute either direction.

The only real hassle of the internet phone service is when the internet is
acting up and you need phone support to troubleshoot the problem.