[PLUG-TALK] Writing labels on keyboard keys

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Tue Aug 1 23:02:42 UTC 2017

On 08/01/2017 03:48 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>     I've been using the same mini keyboard for years and it works great. Most
> of the time I don't look at the keys since I'm a touch-typist (thanks to the
> Army way back when). But now and then I do need to check that I'm on the
> correct key and that's difficult when the letter's worn down and no longer
> visible.
>
>     I bought paper labels for the keys, but have worn through them. The
> keyboard functions just fine so there's no sense in replacing it.
>
>     I'm looking for suggestions of a pen or other marker that will let me
> write the key's purpose on these black keys. Bonus points for restoring the
> tiny bumps on the F and J keys.
>
>     Someone here must have found a working solution to re-marking keyboard
> keys and I want to learn from your experience.

Pat and I have each face the problem. We tried stick-on labels, but
didn't like the feel. We both like Lenovo keyboards, so we just went to
Free Geek, and to the used computer place over on Nimbus and bought a
few. I know what you mean about the F and J bumps. The one on my J key
is starting to wear off. I would guess some nail polish might solve that
one, but I haven't tried it. If you didn't mind the paper labels you
were using, nail polish applied with a steady hand might work for the
labels, too. I don't think I'd like it, though. Except for the F and J
bumps, I didn't like something that wasn't the smooth surface of the
original keys. As I'm typing this I'm wondering if some kind of
paint-like stuff would work if covered with clear nail polish, so that
the keys remained smooth. Maybe appliance touch-up paint, or auto body
touch-up paint. They both come with tiny brushes in the cap. Again,
you'll need a steady hand. And the clear nail polish top coat would be
like the clear coat on a car finish.

We're both touch typists, too. I count the typing class I had in high
school as possibly the most important single class of the whole three
years.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens