[PLUG-TALK] [PLUG] ENU,Inc R.I.P.

Russell Johnson russ at dimstar.net
Mon Aug 28 08:34:57 UTC 2017

> On Aug 13, 2017, at 18:49, Tom <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You could still do this "rummage in the bins for ...." in surplus
> gizmos in Hillsboro
> Just a RIP thought:
> I had an interesting experience while visiting local CenturyLink store
> a few weeks ago - there are so many people without basic networking and
> computer knowledge - not even a clue.
> In the past they would probably go to their local PC shop for advice.
> Now they get hopelessly upset at ISP shop and just buy smartphone with
> $60+ per month to fix their internet needs.....
> One would think that there would be tons of small time IT guys/shops
> around to solve people's networking/computing issues ... I really
> wonder where are we heading and why.

As a consultant, I can say that an awful lot of home users just don’t want to pay for support.

I have had hundreds of conversations with random people where, after they find out I’m a consultant, start asking me for my card and they want to know pricing. When they find out I’m $155/hr, they run.

What’s amazing to me is how the lawyer that charges $300 or more per hour, in six minute increments, gets all torn up about me and $150 an hour in 15 minute increments.

Or the dentist that gets put out because, outside of normal hours is overtime. At their request, I showed up at their office at 6:30. and have their computers up and running before their first client at 7.

—

Russell Johnson
russ at dimstar.net