[PLUG-TALK] Comcast FiOS costs

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Dec 3 20:22:40 UTC 2017

On Sun, Dec 03, 2017 at 08:42:09AM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I know some folks here are Comcast customers, and there's probably an
> equal amount of love/hate with them as their is with Frontier, so I'd like
> to get a sense of comparative costs and benefits.

We will shut down our Frontier FIOS home connection this
month, after we are sure that our Comcast Business connection
is working well.  It worked fine at my wife's office for two
years; spendy but VERY reliable; sadly, her landlords are
much less reliable, hence the move here.

Frontier is close to bankruptcy, and they are spending what
little they have on marketing to rope in more customers to
replace the ones deserting them in droves.

Comcast USED to suck.  They realized this, and rebuilt the
company top to bottom.  The service reps are almost peskily
helpful; the repair and install folk hang around and make
SURE we have all our questions answered, even help us think
up more questions to ask, because they have been taught to
believe that quality is their mission in life.

I don't expect that to last, and I don't expect that the
excellent (but decaying) FIOS network that Frontier bought
from Verizon will remain idle for long after a bankruptcy.
But for now ... Comcast seems the best bet.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com