[PLUG-TALK] Cancelling Frontier Communications

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Dec 22 17:33:09 UTC 2017

After a few years of excellent Verizon NW FIOS service,
and increasingly awful Frontier Communications service,
I moved the phone number to Ooma (delivered via Comcast
Business internet) and cancelled Frontier.  I'll see
what the bill turns out to be;  I cancelled autopay.

After 10 minutes of loud "we hope you hang up"
pseudomusic, the surprisingly helpful Arizona operator
(normally I'm routed to "very very south Texas" aka
Mexico for 40 minutes of pseudomusic followed by a
hangup) told me the account cancelled after the phone
number was transferred.  So, I did not need to call.  I
told the nice lady that I hoped she could get a better
job with the new owners after the bankruptcy sale.

They are leaving the ONT Optical Network Terminal.
I will disconnect the failing battery so it stops
screeching at me.

Now to do some rewiring - the Ooma Telos phone-to-ethernet
adapter should be upstream of all the rest of my internet
hardware (the ALIX firewall and the Personaltelco wifi
access point) so I will be offline for a few hours to
reconfigure the cat5e connections.

When Frontier goes bankrupt, I hope the bankruptcy court
sells the former Verizon NW assets to a new regional
startup, and they rehire the excellent folk that worked
in the Washington call center.  Until then, Comcast
Business is excellent, a wonderful improvement over
Comcast's awful cable internet service a decade ago.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com