[PLUG-TALK] Non-1 calling area from specific cities

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Feb 2 17:49:31 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2 Feb 2017, Russell Johnson wrote:

> On my AT&T cellular, I don't have to dial a one for anywhere in the US. 10
> digits.

Russ,

   My Verizon cell phone also knows when a 1 is required. It would be helpful
to know the algorithm applied to do this.

> If I'm calling on several of my clients VoIP systems, anything outside the
> metro area requires a one. On some others, nothing in the overlay area
> requires it, but calling anything else, including 541, does.

   My Frontier Communications land line does not know when a 1 is required.
What prompted my post was the annoyance of sometimes having Frontier tell me
they're sorry but I don't have to dial a 1, the they tell me they're sorry
because I do need to dial a 1 for towns/cities in close proximity. And I've
not moved from my desk when dialing.

> I do not believe there are standardized rules, such as we had with Ma Bell.

   Way back when the overlay system was publicized I recall there being maps
or textual paragraphs telling us where the non-1 calling areas are depending
on where the calling phone is located. I did not save that information.