[PLUG-TALK] Non-1 calling area from specific cities

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Feb 2 21:37:01 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2 Feb 2017, Tom wrote:

> If you observe that sometimes you need to dial 503 or 1-503 and
> sometimes you do not and can use only xxx-yyyy ...

Tom,

   Interesting history and somewhat clear (to me) explanation.

   When the 971 overlay to area code 503 went into effect 7-digit dialing
died. All calls require the area code even if you call your 503- cell phone
from your 503- land line in the same house.

   So, if all calls are treated the same, as digital data, why can some
really local numbers be dialed without the 1 prefix?