[PLUG-TALK] Cell phone voice quality

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Thu Jan 19 08:50:40 PST 2017

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 05:29:08 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>On Wed, 18 Jan 2017, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> Is it the phone or the signal provided by the carriers' equipment?

>It's my understanding that both are factors. Tiny speaker/microphone
>often tucked away on the bottom or at an edge, atmospherics, distance
>from cell tower, etc. Perhaps the major factor is that smart phone
>designers put less emphasis on voice quality than image quality or the
>screen.

I don't know much about how cell phones work, either the phones
themselves or the towers and the signal they provide. But I do know
that over a hundred years ago when land line telephone service was being
rolled out the telephone companies decided to limit the frequency
response of the system in the interests of savings on equipment cost.
And to this day the frequency response is still pathetic, giving us
memorable expressions like 'that's s as in Sam." (The stridents are the
highest frequency of all the consonants.)

You mentioned that you perceived a difference in voice quality between
Android and Apple phones, so apparently the quality of the phone makes
a difference, but I suspect that signal quality is also a factor. It
would be interesting to see if there is any public information
available on frequency response of cell signals. FCC maybe?