[PLUG-TALK] Cell phone voice quality

Tom tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 23:06:56 UTC 2017

These are my private anecdotal thoughts, absolutely not intended to
wake iPeople to Friday's rage:
On Fri, 2017-01-20 at 13:18 -0800, Russell Johnson wrote:
> > On Jan 19, 2017, at 09:46, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> >   They are not all using the same cellular provider system.
>
> And I'd suspect the network more than any particular phone
> Brand/model.
>
> I have an iPhone, my wife has an Android (Samsung)...
I too have wife, but she comes with iPhone. I have had bunch of Nokia's
and now Android. So it is quite opposite situation to you.
> She is continually complaining about quality of everything. Signal, voice, speed, you name it.

In my case, I am continually complaining about voice quality whenever I
call her on her darn iThing. It is so bad that I prefer to SMS her,
leave voice message or call her using Skype (which sounds great) to
avoid the agony of lost words and her ineligible mumble. It is awful to
be asking her to repeat something 3/4 times and still have no clue.
Clearly, it is byproduct of too high compression or limited bandwidth.
Same goes with my M-in-L and her iPhone. They both are happy with what
they hear from me and from others, being completely happy with what
they have. Now, when I borrow somebody else's iPhone to call her - the
sound quality is great. When I call her on her iPhone from a land line,
VOIP or diffeend brand of phone, I get the same ineligible sound. All
experiences are signal independent. What does that tell me? ...
especially hearing that your wife can replicate my problem!
 ... I should mention that I also tried to clean my ears; and that I
stubbornly refuse to convert to iPhone on religious grounds - I do
believe that buying a phone every 2-3 years for $600+ for myself and
everybody in the family just to solve 1990's voice quality problem is a
sin.