[PLUG-TALK] Non-1 calling area from specific cities

wes plug at the-wes.com
Fri Jan 27 20:56:54 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jan 2017, Mel Andres wrote:
>
> >  I thought that a 1 prefix was only required when dialing outside the
> > 503/971 area code.
>
> Mel,
>
>    Not so. The coast and Salem require a 1 prefix while in the 503 and 971
> area codes. So does McMinnville, but not Amnity.
>
> > At any rate, this link does have some useful information:
> > http://www.allareacodes.com/503
>
>    I had seen that page but it does not identify for which exchages I need
> the prefix and for which I don't.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

I don't have the answer, but I can provide a little insight as to why the
answer is hard to find: it's not a simple answer. there isn't a list of
prefixes which can local-call each other. each prefix has its own unique
list of other prefixes which are "local" to it. this is how they prevent
situations like calling amnity from mcminville becoming a long distance
call.

see here to get a glimpse of just how much nonsense is involved with this
subject: http://localcallingguide.com/lca_exch.php?exch=159160

that was not easy to find, even for me!

additionally, a nitpick: "1" is not the international access code, it's the
national long-distance access code. international would be "011".

-wes