[PLUG-TALK] Virtual Box Version Problem

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Wed Jul 12 16:02:27 UTC 2017

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 23:51:44 -0700
Tom <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com> dijo:

>I suggest to remove all installed bits from your list and reinstall the
>version you need.
>The reason being - vbox install compiles or installs kernel module for
>you at the end of the install using kernel sources. This is only done
>when installing and something got mixed up for you.
>Hope it helps, Tomas

Every time the software updater installs a new kernel Virtualbox will
run, but will not launch any of my virtual machines. There is an error
message with a command to run from a terminal that is supposed to solve
the problem, but for me the command always fails. I discovered a long
time ago that the simplest solution was to search in Synaptic for
'virtualbox', then select all the installed pieces and mark them for
reinstallation. After the reinstallation Virtualbox works as before.