[PLUG-TALK] What is using electricity?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Jul 19 07:13:38 UTC 2017

>>>>> "Aaron" == Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> writes:

Aaron> I have a spare Kill-A-Watt you're welcome to borrow, and most
Aaron> libraries have them to check out.

Aaron> There are nifty expensive gizmos that hook up to your main feed
Aaron> and make guesses based on current profiles, but a bit of patience
Aaron> and simple math is just as good, and more satisfying I think.  A
Aaron> clamp-ammeter is a little bit of a pain, since it needs to go
Aaron> around just one wire, not the whole power cord.

Indeed.  And the clamp ammeter doesn't integrate over time, like the
kill-a-watt things do.  However, if the mystery load isn't a plug-in
appliance, it is another option.  Inside the breaker-box, the "hot"
wires are split out so that clamping one wire is easier.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net