[PLUG-TALK] What is using electricity?

wes plug at the-wes.com
Wed Jul 19 18:02:25 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 10:24 AM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> wrote:

> Back to the Fluke, initially I was not sure it would help much. It
> sounds like I would have to monitor it constantly for hours and, as
> Galen pointed out, I have no data from before the high usage began, so
> there is no benchmark to compare to. And there are 40 slots in my main
> panel, all in use. That's a lot of circuits to test.

I don't have any ideas to help with the 40 circuits issue, I'm pretty sure
you'll have to slog through that no matter what you do.

However, at the very least, you should be able to determine which circuit
has your highest usage compared to the rest, and then determine what's
running on it. It may be legit, it may not - thus is the game of
investigation.

However, reading a
> bit about the Fluke led me to wonder if there is a leak somewhere in
> the new wiring that I did. It is not likely to be in my new work, but I
> also removed an old non-grounded outlet that was supplied by armored
> cable that may have been installed a hundred years ago. The condition
> of the insulation is certainly questionable. And I know which breaker
> serves the circuit that it is on. Can your device measure such a
> possibility? Am I smart enough to know how to use it?

As far as a meter is concerned, usage is usage. There's no way I'm aware of
to detect a "leak" (actually a short) as compared to legit usage, other
than having a circuit consuming out-of-bounds levels of juice.

-wes