[PLUG-TALK] Radiant Barrier - was: What is using electricity?

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed Jul 19 23:59:32 UTC 2017

On 2017-07-19 11:24, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
<snip>
> Radiant insulation (the online pictures look like fancy
> aluminum foil to me) attached to the bottom of the
> rafters makes sense ... except! ... how do you inspect
> the underside of the roof decking for leaks and stains
> and rot?  This is Oregon, after all.

Well, I have a relatively sound roof so I didn't worry too much about
it, but I also took an 80/20 approach: cover the 80% of rafters that are
most important and most accessible, and don't worry much about the 20%.
I have a split-level, bedrooms are under the "upper attic", living room
and kitchen are under the "lower attic."  So I covered the top 4 feet of
both sides of the upper attic's rafters (with 6" air gap at the top) and
just the West face of the lower attic's rafters.

I'd staple up radiant barrier on South- and West-facing rafters over
living spaces only, where the decking looks OK.  It's cheap-ish, so just
plan to tear it down if you ever have to inspect something.

Oh, and use the 24" wide rolls, the 48" wide ones make it a 2-person
job.

And never mind the fiberglass batts.  Mine were installed upside-down on
top of old compressed cellulose fill.  That's gonna be fun to fix.