[PLUG-TALK] Chronic meaningless telephone calls

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jul 21 23:05:11 UTC 2017

   Every day one or two telephone calls come to my office land line, each
from a different area code and exchange. All display 'Out of Area' or
something similar on the called ID.

   I let them go to voice mail because most robo-telemarketing calls don't
leave any message. These daily (or twice daily) calls leave a message
something like, "... press 7 to leave verification." Of course the
originating computer does not know there's no human on the line so it starts
its message while the outbound message is playing. It's an annoying waste of
my time to dial into the voice mail account to delete the nonsense there.

   A vague recollection from something I read is this originates from our
friends at Google. Perhaps. I've no idea who it is or what sort of
verification I'm supposed to leave. Is there a way for me to find out who
keeps spamming me like this and have it rejected? I cannot give Frontier a
number to block since each call comes from a different part of the country
(or elsewhere while spoofing the number.)