[PLUG-TALK] Setting vm IP address for 'Net access

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jun 22 17:12:52 UTC 2017

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017, wes wrote:

> a) how do you have networking configured in your VM software? if you set
> it to Bridge mode, the guest OS will be able to obtain an IP automatically
> from your DHCP server.

Wes,

   With the fedora windows virtio package.

> b) Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center,
> then "Change Adapter Settings" on the left. you should see a list of
> network interfaces available, one should be named "Local Area Connection"
> or similar. right-click on this and click Properties. if you don't have
> it, then your VM software does not have networking configured for this
> guest OS. once you get into the adapter properties, find "Internet
> Protocol" and go into the Properties of that. then you'll see the options
> for specifying the IP address, subnet mask, gateway, and DNS servers.

   Okay. I did this and the local area connection 2 dialog box says there's
no network access for ipv4. Yet when I click the 'properties' button the box
displays the IP address (192.168.55.50), netmask (255.255.255.0), and
gateway (192.168.55.4) with DNS servers of 8.8.8.8 and 192.168.55.1.

   I must have missed a step.

Thanks,