[PLUG-TALK] Happy Pi-day!

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Mar 14 19:57:39 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 08:23:15AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> ... National Academy Press has a pi day sale going on if
> you're interested.

Nah, "3/14" is too decimal-centric.

March has 31 days, or 743 hours of Daylight Stupid Time.

(π-3) times 743 is 4 days, 9 hours, 12 minutes, and
12.0298... seconds after midnight March 01.  So, we
missed "pi moment" this year, sigh.

BTW, the fractional calculation works out the same in
hexidecimal hours/minutes/seconds, though the time
should be expressed as 07 hours, 0C minutes and 0C.07A2...
seconds.

Of course, if we use a true hexidecimal clock, instead
of this silly Babylonian base 60 nonsense, that becomes
3.243F6A8886 hexidecimal days after the beginning
of the month, rounded off to the nearest Planck time.

For those who desire more precision, you can download
and compile "hexpi" from sourceforge.  Pi is a good
source of "random" numbers for testing.

Keith

P.S.  If we were REALLY doing this right, we should
number the hexidecimal months as 0,1,2...A,B.  So, the
"pi moment" occurs during the gregorian calendar day
of april 5, or 7E0:03.243F6A8886 in hexidecimal years
and months (hexidecimal years start counting at zero).
In decimal, that is 2016:03.1415926 .. decimal years
and months, again starting the count at 0, again the
gregorian april "5".  So, either way, those of us who
start counting at zero haven't missed the pi moment yet!

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com