[PLUG-TALK] Has 2-stage authentication been abandoned?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Mar 21 16:41:10 UTC 2017

   It used to be that my bank and linkedin used 2-step authentication to log
in. Now both use only username and password. A lead teller at one bank
branch said their web server identifies us by associating username and
password with the system we use to log in so they ask security questions
only if one logs in from a new host/IP address.

   LinkedIn used to send a 6-digit number to my cell phone and I had to enter
that to verify who I am before it would let me log in. Just recently they
changed their entire UI (for the worse, as far as I can tell) and dropped
that two stage authentication.

   Has anyone else seen this change when logging in to web sites that used to
offer more security?