[PLUG-TALK] Has 2-stage authentication been abandoned?

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 20:19:52 UTC 2017

Most banks don't run their own web services.  They contract out the work.

On Mar 21, 2017 10:11 AM, "Rich Shepard" <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> US Bank hasn't (yet) offered two-factor auth, so I still rely on
> password-only auth for that work. Same with Fidelity. Vanguard still sends
> a verification code to my phone, so password+phone is needed for access.

Paul,

   That's interesting. I just spoke with my banker and she told me that for
most folks access to Key Bank's web site requires answering a security
question only if the host/IP address is different from the last log-on. When
we meet at the end of the week she'll try to find out why I was asked these
questions every time I'd log on (even multiple times per day) from the same
host for the past six years.

> I'd love it if US Bank and Fidelity made two-factor auth available (or
> maybe they have and I haven't discovered it yet), even if it's just a
> slight hassle to use on, say, Mothers Day, when the cell networks are
> swamped.

   The banks may feel their security is sufficient with only
username+password but recent history makes me skeptical that any financial
istitution is hack-proof.

Regards,