[PLUG-TALK] LibreOffice 5 ignores keyboard shortcuts [RESOLVED]

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Wed Mar 29 17:38:41 UTC 2017

On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 05:32:41 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>On Tue, 28 Mar 2017, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>> Just curious if others have had the experience with the 5.x
>> LibreOffice series of keyboard shortcuts not working.
>
>Found the problem ... and solved it. For some reason all the shortcut
>keys assigned to major functions were deleted or changed during the
>upgrade. Time spent re-setting them was needed.

I'm glad you found a solution to your issue. But this discussion
prompted me to do a bit of research in the keyboard shortcuts menu to
make a list of the ones that I need and that are not working, in hopes
of finding a pattern that will give me a clue to a solution. Here is a
list:

	Ctrl+F12			Table
		(cursor jumps, but no dialog box appears)
	Ctrl+Shift+Home	Select to document beginning
	Ctrl+Shift+End	Select to document end
		(but Ctrl-Home/End to move the cursor works)
	Ctrl+Alt+Up/Down	Move up/down

While doing this I noted that my keyboard has an Alt, Shift and Ctrl on
the left and another set on the right. I tried all the combinations, but
none worked. I should add that other Ctrl+ shortcut keys do work; just
the ones above fail. However I did discover a fix for the select+shift+
home/end problem - I noticed that the Home and End keys are actually the
7 and 1 on the numeric keypad. Acting on a hunch I turned on NumLk
and voilà, they both worked. I wonder if this specific problem might be
caused by the Xubuntu 14.04 keyboard settings. This is a System76 17"
laptop that includes a numeric keypad, unusual for a laptop (and I
never use it with NumLk on). Maybe someone here can point me at a
config file to poke around in. Wait ... I thought of an easier solution
– just modify the shortcut key in LO to +1 and +7 instead of +Home and
+End. Oh wait, you can't make up your own shortcut keys, you can only
use the ones supplied by LO. Ctrl+Shift+1 and Ctrl-Shift-7 shortcut
combinations are grayed out. I settled for [ and ] in place of 1 and 7.

In addition to the above keyboard problems, and the window focus
bug (the most annoying problem for me), the mouse behaves strangely
when selecting text. I tend to be a bit spastic with the mouse, so if I
want to select (e.g.) an entire title of a book I double-click on the
leftmost word then, holding the shift down, I click at the end of the
title. This works fine, but only if I do it from left to right. If I
double-click on the rightmost word and then shift-mouse to the
beginning of the title it selects to the beginning of the title, but
deselects the last word. I know of no other program that works like
this. It might be useful to find out f this affects other users of LO
or just me.

Again, I am currently using the latest version in Xubuntu 14.04
repository (4.2.8.2). And I have filed no bug reports, and haven't even
checked to see if any of these issues have already been filed.