[PLUG-TALK] Use of web site statistics

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat May 27 14:18:35 UTC 2017

   Over the years I have infrequently looked at the numbers, charts, and
graphs produced by the web site analytics provided by my ISP (spiritone.com)
without understanding their value to me. Now that I've completely re-written
the site (html5, css3, javascript, and an in-progress cgi script) I'm
interested in learning what potential value I can extract from the available
data. Any insights you have will be helpful.

   There are 6 tools available:
 	Visitors (lists IP address, number of pages viewed, time spent)
 	Bandwidth (used by day and time of day)
 	Raw access (similar to visitors)
 	AwStats (visual charts about visitors)
 	Analog Stats (summary data about visitors)
 	Webalizer (various charts and graphs about visitors)

   None tell me who's visited the site, only the IP address of the browser used
and the referring site, if any.

   I suspect that for my small, professional services business none of the
available information provides insights that might lead to potential new
clients. After all, my business is not based on a web site. Am I wrong? If
so, I'd sure like to learn how to benefit from these data.