[PLUG-TALK] Use of web site statistics

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun May 28 00:37:36 UTC 2017

On Sat, 27 May 2017, Aaron Burt wrote:

> Second: Web analytics are odd, log-based ones even more so. I'd recommend
> you add a JavaScript web-bug (e.g. Google Analytics) to help calibrate,
> and correct for caching.

Aaron,

   After looking at google analytics and a half-dozen other pages on web site
analytics I returned to my long-held belief that these do nothing for me. My
business is not e-commerce, a subscription-supported blog, or any other
direct generator of revenue on which the analytic engines and companies seem
to focus their attention.

   Other than adding new documents to the Library page now and then, and Real
Soon Now(TM) allowing visitors to send me an e-mail message from the web
site, it consists of static pages presenting information. I found nothing in
my reading that suggested a way to use visitor data to learn anything useful
(to me) about my visitors.

Thanks for responding,