[PLUG-TALK] Used Tool Store on the West Side of Town

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Mon Nov 20 21:20:23 UTC 2017

On 11/20/2017 12:56 PM, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>> I have a friend who wants to buy a wrench. She lives over on the west
>> side of town, in Tigard, near 99W.
> Sometimes I make my own tools;  I made gas turnoff valve
> wrenches (with drill and hacksaw and file) out of small
> bars of steel scrap.  I hang those near the valves (one
> outside) with weatherproof instructions for using them.

Good idea. I, too, have dedicated a tool to a specific place now and then.

> I tried that with a old adjustable wrench, but it rusted.

I would imagine so.

> There are occasionally some useful tools at the Habitat
> for Humanity ReStore at 13475 SW Millikan Way in Beaverton
>
> However, given the time and uncertainty, Harbor Freight on
> 99 is probably a better alternative.

Yeah. I've seen some things at the ReStore near Mall 205, but the
pickings are too variable unless I'm going to be in the area anyway.

> She can also get
> small cheap tools at the Dollar Store;  those are made
> with pot metal and floor sweepings, but they might last
> long enough to get the job done.

I'm not a fan of really cheap (cheaply made) tools, and I wouldn't send
her there for that reason. I have to maintain my reputation. :-)

> Her best alternative would be to make friends with people
> with tools.

She already has.  We're helping her with her remodeling from time to time.

> If she is good at cooking,

Very good.

> or theoretical astrophysics,

Note even close.

> there are people with tools who would be
> glad to lend a hand in return for a good meal or a clever
> model of the early Universe.

We have been the beneficiaries of her cooking on several occasions.

> I prefer building friendships instead of spending money.

Definitely.

But she does like to be as self-sufficient as she can and only ask for
help when it's something more advanced. So she is accumulating a
collection of smaller tools, and some fancier ones. Another friend of
ours treated her to a Ryobi battery drill. I used it the last time I was
over helping her. I liked it so much I bought one for myself. I already
have a few Ryobi tools that use their One+ 18v batteries.

Thanks for your ideas.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens