[PLUG-TALK] (administrivia) Mail problem fixed

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Oct 2 05:45:16 UTC 2017

I had a problem with incoming mail on Saturday and Sunday.
Fixed now, really bizarre multifactor problem stemming
from a configuration error that took a month to manifest
(silently) in a completely unrelated way.

I had inadvertently blocked a port machine A that
provided some DNS information to machine B.  Old
(valid) DNS information lingered somewhere in
postfix on machine B for weeks,  Then postfix
cleared it, and did not check the redundant source
of DNS information.  The error message in the logs
was about "machine C" looping back to itself.

My only hint to start looking for mail bugs in the
10,000 line postfix logs was the spam stopping.  My
fault;  I should set up something on the mail reader
machine that frequently queries the others for such
errors, and complains when the queries fail.

Don't worry that artificial intelligence will take over
the world.  Programmers only create artificial stupidity.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com