[PLUG-TALK] Transmit audio wirelessly from computer to stereo

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sun Oct 22 20:45:12 UTC 2017

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 22:05:34 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> dijo:

>I just stumbled on a new idea. Apparently there now exist stereo
>receivers/amplifiers that can also receive wifi signals. I have to go
>to Jantzen Beach Home Depot tomorrow where there is also a Best Buy,
>and Best Buy offers numerous such receivers/amplifiers. The big
>question is whether my Linux computers can send an audio signal over
>wifi that they can grok. Stay tuned. :)

I spent 15 minutes with a very knowledgeable sales dude at Best Buy. He
showed me lots of expensive receivers, and then he showed me a
Chromecast Audio device that they sell for $35:

https://store.google.com/product/chromecast_audio

The device has a 3.5 mm output jack that I can use with an adapter that
ends in two RCA plugs to just plug it into my existing stereo.

The big question is how do I send the audio signal to it from a Linux
computer. It seems to be made primarily for iOS and Android, although
apparently you can also stream from Windows or MacOS. And I found an
article saying that you can do it from Linux with the Chromium browser.

I have a lot of googling to do on this. In the meantime, if anyone
knows anything about Chromecast with Linux, I'd love to hear what you
have to say.