[PLUG-TALK] Oct 31 Theses Warning

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Mon Oct 30 18:40:35 UTC 2017

On 10/30/17 09:34, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Oct 2017, David Mandel wrote:
>
>> I assume there will be celebrations in this country as well.  If I was
>> Lutheran, I would certainly do something to commemorate it.
>
> We had a banquet, complete with volunteer orchestra (including herald
> trumpets!), at our Lutheran church.
>
> Luther's 95 theses were largely arguments against abuses concerning the
> sale of indulgences. Their relevance has waned with severely decreased
> emphasis on indulgences within Roman Catholic practice. More interesting
> for seeing how his theology would develop in the future were the 28
> theses he presented six months later (April 1518) at a monastic
> convocation in Heidelberg:
>
> http://bookofconcord.org/heidelberg.php

This reminds me of an old "The Day the Universe Changed" episode that
discusses how the invention of the printing press played a part in the
reformation.

Sadly this is the best video I could find.  Skip ahead to the 19 minute
mark if you're short on time.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F2lW7GVLt4>

galen
--