[PLUG-TALK] broadband alternatives in the 'burbs

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Sep 26 18:58:59 UTC 2017

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> Regards copper;  if there is any still on the poles in the neighborhood,
> it hasn't been maintained for a decade. That is when Verizon changed
> everyone on our street to fiber. When my wife's Portland office still used
> CenturyLink copper, we were changing pairs downstairs at the building's
> DEMARC about once a year, as the old copper from the central office rotted
> out. That hiss you hear on a copper line during rainy season is the
> electrochemical event of copper turning into copper oxide, the green fuzz
> that eventually shorts out the pair.

Keith,

   I'm near the far end of the copper ADSL from Frontier's nearest CO so my
downloads are limited to about 340KB/sec. Other than going dead now and then
(now very infrequently) and not supporting static IP addresses on the
routers SpiritOne uses I've seen no change in service since they bought the
land lines from Verizon. Out here the wires are underground and here's no
hissing or other degradation when it rains.

Just my $0.25 worth (inflation, you know),