[PLUG-TALK] time to upgrade from DSL

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Wed Apr 11 23:50:52 UTC 2018

On 04/11/2018 04:43 PM, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 03:34:08AM -0700, Pete Lancashire wrote:
>> In Portland.
>> Suggestions ?
> We've had good luck with Comcast.  They used to suck,
> but have radically improved.  We use them with Ooma VOIP
> service, paying less and getting more than we did from
> Frontier (not an option for you anyway).  Much depends
> on the quality of the coax on your street; if connectors
> are corroding or it is underprovisioned, it may not meet
> advertised speed claims.

Getting the right service tech helps a lot. Sometime last year we were
having problems with our Comcast Internet. The third tech who came out
went up on the pole and looked at some gadget up there. He found much
corrosion. He had to get an okay from his boss to swap it out, because
it meant cutting the service to everyone downstream. He got the okay and
we've had no problems since. That corroded connector had probably been
in there since it was installed in the mid '90s.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens