[PLUG-TALK] About the medical software you see in your physician's office

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sat Dec 22 00:48:06 UTC 2018

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 12:18:38 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>   I know Keith will like this NY Times article
><https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/20/business/epic-systems-campus-verona-wisconsin.html>
>about Epic Systems in Verona, WI, and I expect others will, too.

While reading the article I wondered how I would have fared during a
surgical procedure a few days ago if the hospital had lost its net
connection right after they had made a big hole in me. In fact, several
years ago I was in a hospital undergoing a nerve conduction study - very
painful - when the lights and the computer went dark. A few minutes
later things came back as the hospital's massive diesel generators
kicked in, but the computer holding the results of the test, almost
completed, had to be rebooted, all my data was gone, and we had to
start the study over again from the beginning. I hope the computers in
the operating theater are running continuously on batteries, and ditto
for the lighting, anesthesia equipment, and more.