[PLUG-TALK] Screen phone "911 unavailable" warnings

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sat Dec 29 06:24:50 UTC 2018

On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 21:45:33 -0800
Larry Brigman <larry.brigman at gmail.com> dijo:

>It was on the news tonight.  It was caused by a CenturyLink outage.
>Because of the time it took to recover from the outage(~10hours or
>more), the FCC is opening an investigation.

My gigabit CL internet speed dropped to practically nothing, and many
sites were completely unavailable, the further away the worse the
connection. I couldn't get internet radio stations to play from
Cleveland, Boston, etc. Eventually it all returned to normal, but not
before I spent half an hour poking at everything in my network trying
to figure out what was wrong. At one point the connection was so bad
that I used my cell phone as a hotspot just to get on the net. And the
web site that was 100% offline? CenturyLink, of course.