[PLUG-TALK] Setting up new virtual machines on Linux - Why not KVM?

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sun Dec 30 22:55:34 UTC 2018

On 12/30/18 2:10 PM, Tomas K wrote:
> There has been quite a few post about how to get VirtualBox working on
> various Linux distributions. I cannot recall any post asking for help
> with KVM (or bHyve!).
>
> <...>
>
> So, if you are still reading and have a few minutes to burn:
>   --> Why are you not using KVM? <--
>   --> Are you KVM user with no reason to write about it? <--
>   --> Is your HW too old for KVM? <--
>   --> No idea what is KVM? <--
>
> Please do not tell - what attracts you to virtualBox or vmWare - this
> is about KVM only.

I'm one of those with legacy a VM for vBox. It has a handful of Win2K
programs. I also need a Win7 VM, and I have only one purchased program
to put on it (with a transferable license), so I'm up for learning a
"better" approach for my second Slackware setup. I'm still getting a few
things worked out before I'm ready for KVM, but hopefully I'll have time
tomorrow for those, and later in the week be ready to give KVM a try.

In answer to your four questions, number 4 answers number 1. I think
I've heard of KVM, but that's all I really know about it. And that also
answers number 2. On the other hand, I'm willing to write up my
experience, as I am also willing to write up the overall Slackware
experience I'm in the middle of. I've just spend some time looking for
some basic stuff I learned at the clinic and just realized it's probably
on the laptop, which is down in the living room. Sigh.

As for number 3, it shouldn't be too old. It's a machine I had built by
ENU just  year or two ago.

So, in the spirit of "in for a penny, in for a pound," (if anyone
remembers that saying), I'll give it a go. A link to beginner's reading
would be appreciated.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens