[PLUG-TALK] Brother B&W lasers

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Thu Feb 8 05:31:19 UTC 2018

On 02/07/2018 08:29 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 18:32:58 -0800
> Pete Lancashire <pete at petelancashire.com> dijo:
>
>> Has any one bought one ? Model opinions ?
> I have a Brother HL-2280DW. This is an all-in-one, black and white
> only. Toner is relatively inexpensive, as the cartridges can be
> re-manufactured by third party outfits.
>
> To install the drivers requires using the proprietary Brother software,
> but it installs without a problem. However, printing to it is usually a
> problem, that is, it works, but the print job hangs, or the GUI hangs,
> or something goes wrong.

Ditto to what John said. I have a Brother MFC-7820N, which used to work
fine, but doesn't work at all any more from my Linux machines. I, too,
have installed the Brother provided software, and haven't had success
printing with it for some months. I get around it by moving whatever I
need to print to my wife's Win7 machine and printing it from there. Not
fun.

One of these days I'm going to look into other options, like a
used/re-manufactured HP from long enough ago that it will just work,
both with whatever current version of Linux I use, but also with my
virtual Win 2000. I've got some old CAD software that I don't use often,
but would like to be able to print things from it.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens