[PLUG-TALK] MVA and "Smart" phones

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Feb 19 18:39:09 UTC 2018

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018, Aaron Burt wrote:

> As a motorcyclist, I often thought, "self-driving cars can't come soon
> enough" at least until I read this:
> https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/23/motorcyclist-hit-by-self-driving-car-in-s-f-sues-general-motors/

   If human drivers do not have a 'search image' for bicycles and motorcycles
who trains the driverless vehicle algorithms to develop this search image?

   Years ago I traveled fairly regularly between Pocatello, ID and Laramie,
WY, and always spotted herds of pronghorn in the southeast Idaho and
southern Wyoming sagebrush steppes while others saw only white rocks (the
standard proghorn butt color). Too many drivers can look right at someone on
a 2-wheel vehicle and literally not see them because they don't recognize
what they're seeing.