[PLUG-TALK] Giving up on DuckDuckGo

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Mon Jul 23 03:43:28 UTC 2018

On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 18:59:42 -0700
Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us> dijo:

>What is your use case for date restricted searches?

I need date restricted searches only occasionally. An example: Today I
was having an issue with Virtualbox on Ubuntu and my searches gave me
results including some for Ubuntu 10.04. I may not be always up to
date, but really!

>Which date range are you most interested in?

Varies, depending on what I'm searching about.

>Would sorting results by date be of use?

Perhaps, but perhaps not.

>DuckDuckgo does allow for six Google time ranges
>
>   !gday
>   !gweek
>   !gmonth
>   !g24
>   !ghour
>   !gyear

Now, that is useful. But now I have another question. Why did
DuckDuckGo not come up with those when I asked about date searches?

>And while messing around looking for dates, I found I can do a quick
>translation to/from English and Spanish with !sdict

Can I ask about other languages besides Spanish and English? E.g., the
other day I needed to know the meaning of a Turkish word. And recently I
needed to make sense of several paragraphs of Estonian. Google translate
sucks rocks, but it got the job done.