[PLUG-TALK] Search postfiltering Re: ... DuckDuckGo

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Jul 25 03:27:17 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 07:35:11AM -0700, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> Another solution is to use the DuckDuckGo bang code of !g to do a
> search on Google when and only when you need a Google feature like
> date filtering.

Thanks Michael, bang codes look very useful!

Plain vanilla duckduckgo is Bing in a DDG privacy wrapper.
Allegedly.  Does !g also invoke a DDG privacy wrapper?

----

For time-windowed information, it is useful to find a
relevant, frequently updated website, then look at an
older version on the Internet Archive:  archive.org .

----

What /I/ really want is my own local search postfilter.

For the kind of searches I do, both Google and Bing return
vast amounts of useless crap and mis-targeted ads.  For
example, I was in north/northeast Portland a few days ago,
and searched for Indian grocery stores.  I got hundreds of
repetitive listings for ethnic restaurants, one valid
Indian grocery listing, and a few long-gone Asian markets.

With filtering at my end, and a more complicated interface,
I hope to select for what *I* want within a firehose of raw
Google and Bing search results.  I then save a subset of
results as keys for the next filtered search.  I /want/ to
be tracked, if /my own personal machine/ does the tracking.

So how do Google and Bing get paid?  When my machine is
idle, it can search for 24 hour $29.95 locksmiths; those
fraudsters can pay Google and Bing for the clickthroughs.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com